Tuesday 15 May 2012

Tuesday Alchemy Wedding Challenge

So this weeks challenge over at the Tuesday AlchemyTuesday Alchemy blog is Happy Wedding! I've been really busy the past couple of weeks getting ready for a couple of local Craft Fairs but after a bit of a wobbly time with my whiplash I really wanted to get back in to the swing of things and create something for this challenge.
So here is what I made,a decoupaged wedding spoon.
I thought it might be something a little different and I really like wedding spoons,I was given one at my wedding and they are a nice keepsake of the day.

I gave the spoon a couple of coats of gesso,sanding after each one and then decoupaged it,using matte gel medium, with flowers cut from an old book.  I glued one end of a piece of satin ribbon to the back of the spoon,twisted it round the handle and glued the other end to the top of the handle.  Finally I added a hanging loop (the spoon has a little hook screwed in to the end of the handle) and a bow.

The tradition of giving a wooden spoon dates back many many years, the wooden spoon was considered to be the most useful utensil to be used by the woman of the house in her kitchen and would be used to help and assist the new Bride in her kitchen to enable her to cook and produce the best meals for her new husband, and later her family. An interesting Scottish variation on this custom was the giving of a spirtle (for stirring the porridge) in lieu of a spoon.

Willingham Craft Fair


I thought I would share a couple of photos of my stall from the recent Craft Fair I attended in Willingham.  It was a fabulous day,saw some familiar faces and met some lovely new ladies too.  One of the best things about Craft Fairs is getting to meet fellow crafters,seeing what they create and having a natter.  It's a great way of discovering places I would never normally visit too,Willingham is a beautiful place, but I must say the road to get there was adventurous to say the least,thank goodness for shock absorbers and my SatNav!
Thanks for dropping by and I do hope you'll join us over at Tuesday Alchemy for this week's challenge xx

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your Craft Fair, Julia! How fun! What's a natter, BTW? I'm guessing it's a chat . . .

    Lots of joy,
    Corrinne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol yeah,it does mean a chat,must be a local thing! :)

      Delete
  2. great job julia!

    thanks for sharing your craft fair pics, it's interesting to see how it's done in other places..

    cheers!
    kelli
    loveshappyhour

    ReplyDelete
  3. We missed you! Glad you're back and with a ton of adventures on your back too! Very nice decoupaged spoon! Can't wait to see what you make next time!

    Btw, the craft fair looks like a lot of fun! Nice display! I would like to try one someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be back Eileen! You girls are all so inspiring xx

      Delete
  4. Such a beautiful project and creative way to pass on a tradition ~ it's brilliant!!! Love the photos of your booth and all the gorgeous pieces of art ~ it's fabulous!!
    Have a wonderful night!!
    Nancy xx :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an amazing idea and I love how it turned out. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very lovely idea your wedding spoons :)Thanks to become my follower :) Replacement with pleasure because I looked your creations and I like very much all !
    Have a nice day,
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sonia! Your cards are beautiful,I hope you will continue to share with us at Tuesday Alchemy xx

      Delete
  7. lovely spoon and great pics from fair!!!
    hugs
    xMx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marion, the Fair was a lot of fun xx

      Delete